Christmas 2019 Waste & Recycling Collections
Published: 14 October 2019
Christmas 2019 waste and recycling collections
Households are encouraged to find out more about arrangements for waste and recycling collections over Christmas and New Year.
· Collections will continue to take place as usual over the Christmas and New Year period, except for Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year’s Day
- If your collection is due on Christmas Day (Wednesday, 25 December) it will instead take place on Saturday, 28 December.
- If your collection is due on Boxing Day (Thursday, 26 December) it will instead take place on Sunday, 29 December.
- If your collection is due on New Year’s Day (Wednesday, 1 January) this will instead take place on Saturday, 4 January.
· During the week beginning 23 December, all households will get an extra blue bin recycling collection on their usual collection day. This includes households whose collections have been rescheduled from Christmas Day and Boxing Day to the following weekend.
Garden waste collections for those subscribed to the service there will be a short break in collections during w/c 23 December so that crews can focus on the extra seasonal recycling.
Waste bins – your black bin will continue to be collected as normal on its three-weekly cycle. Please make sure you recycle as much as possible as side waste and bins with raised lids will not be collected.
Recycling - Your blue recycling bin will continue to be collected as usual over Christmas and New Year. There will be an extra collection for all households during week beginning 23 December – please place your blue bin out with your food waste on your usual collection day.
Extra recycling will also be collected if you cannot fit into your blue bin – please place items into clear or white bags next to your boxes (not black or green sacks).
Don’t forget that a range of festive items can be recycled, including foil-free Christmas cards and wrapping paper, sweet tins and drinks bottles.
Food waste bins will continue to be collected weekly for all households on their usual collection day.
Christmas trees – Households can put their real Christmas trees in their garden waste bin or alternatively place them alongside their bins on the usual day of collection week beginning 6 January.
There are no communal collection points for real Christmas trees. You can also take trees to the local household waste recycling centre – find your nearest at www.daventrydc.gov.uk/recycling
Check your collections calendar – You can check your bin collection dates on the calendar delivered to you in June, or by searching your postcode on our website at www.daventrydc.gov.uk.
You can also check your collection day and set up alerts on your mobile by downloading the free Daventry District Council app from the Apple or Google Play stores.
Reporting a missed bin over Christmas and New Year
Daventry District Council’s offices and Contact Centre will be closed from Christmas Day, reopening on Thursday, 2 January. During this time waste and recycling services will continue and you can report a missed bin collection on our website at www.daventrydc.gov.uk